I keep a record (too many records) of shows and books and other stuff. Mostly for myself, but I don’t mind having it in a public space. My list of show’s I’ve seen is so long as to be unwieldy and uninteresting, so I think I’ll divide them up into a more manageable form. These were shows I saw before arriving in Australia in 1999 that somehow stayed with me and I wanted to keep them on this list:
Europe – I lived in Europe from 1994 to 1998, first in Brussels and then in London. London was when I really started to see shows!
- After a time in London, I was encouraged as a gay man to get to know Sondheim. At the Edinburgh Festival, I saw an amazing version of “Into the Woods”, a mediocre “Company” and a god-awful “Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum”.
- And then in the following two years saw at least 3 productions of “Side by Side by Sondheim”, 2 of “Merrily We Roll Along” (both great), and “Assassins”. Also, a concert version of “Sweeney Todd” and the amazing “Sondheim Tonight” tribute show at the Barbican Centre, London from September 1999
- Tony Kushner’s Slav’s (Edinburgh)
- Rent (London production)
- Miss Saigon
- The Iceman Cometh (with Kevin Spacey)
- Naked (with Juliette Binoche)
- Godspell (a children’s version – didn’t know until we got there…)
- Richard II with Ralph Fiennes at the Gainsborough Film Studios, London, 1998
- My brother’s high school put on “My Fair Lady”, “Godspell”, “the Wiz” and “South Pacific” (in which he played the Chinese manservant)
- And then when I got to high school, there was “Oklahoma” and “Godspell”.
- I also remember a high school production in Hawaii of “West Side Story”
- And a touring version of Annie
- Chorus Line (Touring Cast) – probably my first really memorable professional production. I basically think that this, combined with the shows listed above it, made me gay. Or at least a show queen.
- The Good Woman of Szechuan (Peterborough)
- Marat/Sade (I was in it!) (Peterborough)
- Happy Days (Peterborough)
- The Caucasian Chalk Circle (Peterborough)
- Cabaret (Touring Cast)
- Rent (Vancouver, Touring Cast)
- Angels in America, parts 1 and 2, new york, summer of 1994 (In Jan 2011, I found the ticket stubs I’d saved. My tickets in the balcony cost $25 each…)
- Thoroughly Modern Millie, Broadway
- Avenue Q, Broadway
- Forbidden Broadway – 20th anniversary celebration – Sept 2003, New York
- Gypsy (with Bernadette Peters), Broadway. Sept 2003 (Sigh, I passed up Into the Woods with Vanessa Williams and saw this instead.)