At an Eros Ramazotti concert in Oct 08, I was musing at the amazing artists I’ve seen from around the world, and while around the world. I thought I’d indulge myself with a list of concerts of famous, obscure, alternative, and mainstream folks that I’ve seen through the years. (Pre-2010, 2013 and current in separate posts)
2012 – Australia
- Beth Orton, State Theatre (January) – I love her music, but was surprised how nervous she was. It took a long time for her to warm up into her own songs.
- Sam Amidon, Spiegeltent (January) – I kind of liked the dead-pan American humour from the Deep South but my friends thought it was weird. Still, his version of R. Kelly’s ‘Relief’ was amazing.
- Hans Zinner’s 41 Strings and Bharoocha’s IIII, Sydney Opera House (January) – This piece of music and performance was one of the most exciting events I’ve been to. Amazing orchestral pop performed by dozens and dozens of musicians onstage in a concert venue. Wow.
- The King’s Singers, Sydney Opera House (February)
- The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, Opera House (March) – I love their reinterpretations of new and old popular songs, i.e. Teenage Dirtbag, and they’re great performers… But what an unusual crowd. It was like being at a ukulele convention.
- Bon Iver, Opera House (March) – Hard-fought tickets, a sold-out house and the audience ADORED them. An interesting phenomenon to have such original music create such fandom. It was great, though I wish they hadn’t torn apart their old songs so much.
- Jane Birkin, Angel Place (March) – see my posted review
- Angélique Kidjo, Sydney Opera House (April)
- Bryce Dessner, Nico Muhly & Sufjan Stevens (May) – String Quartets and ‘Planetarium’. This music was beautiful!
- Prince (June) – holy crap, what a concert. One of the best I’ve ever seen.
- Lady Gaga (June) – great performer, I’m glad we went.
- Radiohead (November)
- Emmylou Harris (November) – State Theatre. Perhaps more country and bluegrass than I like.
- Morrissey (December) – what a crazy great concert this was and I didn’t expect him to sing so many Smiths songs. Was ecstatic.
2011 – Australia
- The National, Enmore Theatre (January)
- The Magnets, The Basement (June)
2010 – Australia
- Andrew Bird, January, Sydney Opera House
- Grizzly Bear, January, State Theatre, Sydney
- Carole King and James Taylor, April, Hope Estate Winery, Hunter Valley
- Rickie Lee Jones, Opera House (Vivid), May
- Jonsi, Enmore Theatre
- Kurt Elling, November, Sydney Opera House